Monday, October 21, 2013

Silly English: Make-Up

Oh English, you're so silly sometimes! Like the way you have some words that are spelled the same and sound the same yet mean two very different things... that is SILLY!  And, it can be totally confusing to one who is new to this language and trying to learn it, like my kids.  It makes for some good laughs, like the other day...

We were walking to gymnastics class on a Wednesday morning, which is different than usual because normally we walk to gymnastics on Friday morning, but because Selah had been sick one of her class days we were taking a MAKE-UP class.  

I had been telling Selah about this make-up class for a week or so, letting her know that we wouldn't be going to the library on Wednesday morning this particular week because we would be going to a MAKE-UP gymnastics class instead.  She would often remind me that we could not miss her MAKE-UP class on Wednesday.  She thought about, and talked often of this class.  

Well, as we are strolling along the sidewalk, she sits up straight, looks back at me in horror, and say,

"MOM! You forgot to put on my lipstick, and eye stuff!!"

At this point I'm clueless, I have no idea what she's talking about.  She sees the clear confusion written all over my face and continues to explain,

"It's my MAKE-UP class! I need to put my MAKE-UP on!!"

She's exasperated...distraught...and I'm cracking up because it finally dawned on me that she thinks this gymnastics class she is going to on a new day is one in which you wear make-up to...duh, why else would they call it a MAKE-UP class.  

Then I just start stumbling over my words and defining make-up with the word make-up, which is helpful...but I finally manage to explain that it really means she is just redoing the class she missed when she was sick, which I think she understood, maybe, a little bit.  I dunno, but she wasn't freaking out about her bare, unmade-up face anymore...sweet girl.

This happens so many times throughout our days, so I plan to keep this "Silly English" thing going and make it a series, if I can remember...that's the key.  

Please feel free to share any silly moments English has brought to you and your family in the comments, I'd love to hear them!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment