Friday, July 5, 2013

Fruit Flag

We had a wonderful 4th of July this year!! Remember my previous post, where I was all sad about my baby growing up??  Well, I still miss some parts of infanthood, but, thinking back to this time last year made me grateful that I now have an older baby to take to the firework festivities! No pumping in the dark, no trying to keep mosquitos from attacking a 3 week old, no stress about waiting forever in the parking lot and wondering if I'd make it home in time before the next feeding, no possible crazy diaper situations (ya never know what can happen with a newborn!!), no cleaning up said pump and bottle once home....ahhhh, kinna nice, maybe having my children grow older isn't so bad.

We didn't do a whole lot in the morning/afternoon...totally dropped the ball on the whole parade thing!!! I was super bummed and all day I kept saying, "Next year we HAVE to make this parade!!" because I kept seeing adorable pictures of my friends' kids having a blast at this parade downtown that I didn't even know about...bummer! Next year! For sure!! 

Then in the afternoon I decided to see how Owen would do with yogurt and a spoon, by himself, while I cut up fruit for our FRUIT FLAG! 








He cracks me up!!










He was kept very occupied and had a blast making a mess.  And I got to make this!




 The only patriotic craft/activity we did that day (unless listening to "Born in the USA" and "Your a Grand Old Flag" during lunch as an activity??), I had other plans awhile back, but forgot them all, until the day of...so this will do for this year.  Selah didn't get to help a whole lot, like I envisioned, because she napped forever, and we didn't wake her since we knew she'd be up late watching fireworks, so I left the blueberries for her to do when she woke up.

Then, we headed to my BIL and SIL (brother-in-law and sister-in-law) where we ate belly-rubbing-delicious BBQ!! Oh, and the fruit flag, with yogurt, of course! Watermelon Oreos for dessert...they were wonderful, what will Oreo come up with next?!?!  Daniel biked the kids over (I was lazy and drove, plus, I don't have a bike, sad), and that was Owen's first time...another great perk to being one! 





I thought Owen would topple over with that huge helmet!! They had fun, from what I hear, wish there was room in that trailer for three! 


After our bellies were full we headed to the park for fireworks, where Selah got to play in a few bouncy houses and Owen played with a big beach ball.





He chased that ball around while also keeping the kids waiting in line for bouncy houses occupied...he's a multitasker and friendmaker. 


 We played with glow sticks until the show!




Fireworks were great, they never get old!  At one point Selah squealed with delight, very loudly, for all around to hear, "EEEE, that was a pink one, my favorite color!!" Fireworks are fun, but watching her excitement over then is a million times more fun!  Daniel was holding Owen, so I didn't get to see/hear his reactions, but he said he seemed impressed and would make his typical grunting sound when excited.  

Great time with great people celebrating a great country.  I'm not really into politics, and I never discuss politics because I always end up thinking everyone is right, everyone makes such good points, but I do love this holiday.  We aren't perfect, and we've made our fair share of mistakes (and we will continue to do so, because we are a country made of people, and people are not perfect) but I'm grateful to have been born in this country and I'm proud to be an American.  Call me naive, but I'd like to believe we are a country mostly made up of well-intentioned, compassionate people with good hearts doing their best to live an honorable life for ourselves and others.  That's a country I want to be apart of, and I'm grateful for those who sacrificed for me to have the freedoms I do!! God bless the USA and all those men and women continuing to bravely fight for us back home!!! 

Hope you all had a memorable Forth of July!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment