Friday, March 13, 2015

Seeing Them

There's this Amy Grant song called "Our Father's Eyes" which talks about finding the good when good is hard to find, and having eyes filled with love and compassion, just like our Father God.  One of my favorite songs growing up. 

There's another, more recent song, from Hillsong United called "Hosanna" that talks about opening up our eyes to the things unseen, breaking our hearts for what breaks His, and loving others how He loves us.

Both these songs have encouraged me through the years to ask God to help me see things the way He sees them, and then since having children, a constant (and I mean constant) prayer of mine is to see these precious little ones he has entrusted in my care the way He sees them.  After a particularly difficult day, this happened...

Seeing Them

There's spilt milk, ripped books, a colored-on floor, bed, wall,
and I see them with frustrated eyes

I watch the hitting, pulling, pushing, throwing
and I see them with angry eyes

Lord, I pray to see them the way you see them

He won't sleep, he won't eat, he won't play, he won't cuddle
and I see him with confused eyes

I'm asked to read another book, play another game, 
make another meal, kiss another boo-boo
and I see them with tired eyes

Lord, I pray to see them the way you see them

There's complaints about where we're going, what we're eating,
what we're watching, what we're playing, what we're listening to,
and I see them with annoyed eyes

The thermometer reads 102.3, skin is red from too much sun, 
the rash is back, the cough won't stop
and I see them with pained eyes

Lord, I pray to see them the way you see them

She's told she looks funny, he's left out of a big boy game, 
they yell unkind words at each other,
and I see them with sad eyes

They climb too high, swim too far, run too fast,
and I see them with nervous eyes

Lord, I pray to see them the way you see them

I'm told another lie, given another excuse, looked at with a scowl,
and I see them with disappointed eyes

I play another Sesame Street, let him cry a little bit longer, 
raise my voice a tad too loud,
and I see them with guilty eyes

Lord, I pray to see them the way you see them
I pray to see them with grace-filled eyes
Loving, kind, gentle, patient eyes
Eyes full of understanding and hope
I pray to see them the way you see them, Lord


Imagine what our world would be like if we could all see others the way God sees us! Unfortunately we are human and it is easier said than done, but it will forever be my heart's cry.  

4 comments:

  1. WOW! You really hit the nail on the head here! Amazing, and so true. I need to get a prescription for some grace glasses, to correct my annoyed/angry/frustrated/disappointed vision :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we could all use those grace glasses for sure :)

      Delete