Friday, September 16, 2016

Favorite Fall Recipes

Fall is right around the corner (September 22 to be exact), but with school having already started and pumpkin spice everywhere, it's pretty much already fall. The only hint of summer left is the 90* weather. Come on fall weather!! Winter weather can stay away, far away, but cool, crisp fall weather is welcome anytime! 

So in honor of fall, I thought I'd put together some of my favorite recipes to make during this time of year. Daniel thinks it is absurd to make certain meals only during certain seasons, but I just can't bring myself to make soups and stews and apple, pumpkiny things during March, can't. 

Let's start with breakfast! 

Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
  • ·       3 1/3 cup flour
  • ·       2 tsp baking soda
  • ·       3 cups sugar
  • ·       1 ½ tsp salt
  • ·       1 tsp cinnamon
  • ·       1 tsp nutmeg
  • ·       ¼ tsp ground ginger
  • ·       1 cup oil
  • ·       4 eggs
  • ·       2/3 cup water
  • ·       2 cup pumpkin (which is basically one can of pumpkin)
Directions: 

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Stir wet into dry. Grease and flour muffin tins or use liners. Fill tins about 3/4 with the batter. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. It makes quite a bit so I always freeze half for later!

Now, onto lunch or dinner meals.

Taco Soup (this recipe is from Daniel's mom)

Ingredients:
  • ·       2 lbs beef
  • ·     Onion chopped
  • ·     1 can black beans
  • ·     1 can ranch-style beans
  • ·     1 can chopped tomato
  • ·     1 can corn
  • ·     1 can rotel
  •       Pkg original Ranch dressing
  •       Pkg taco mix
Directions:

Ground beef and drain. Add everything else. So easy y'all. Don’t drain any of the liquid from the canned foods. Simmer for about 3 hours. Top with shredded cheese and corn chips. Delicious.

I usually serve taco soup with corn bread and honey...here's the recipe for that.

Corn Bread (my mom's recipe)

Ingredients:
  • 1 ¼ cup flour
  • ¾ cup corn meal
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • ¼ cup oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
Directions:

Mix all the dry ingredients. Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir wet in with dry and pour into greased 8X8 or 9X9 pan.  Bake at 400* for 20-25 minutes. Drizzle on honey and eat!

Sausage Stew (which I've already posted once here, but it's just too dang good not to put on here, I'll probably make this every week)

Ingredients: 
  • 2 cans condensed bean and bacon soup
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 medium potatoes, diced
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup sliced celery
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 2 12oz packages fully cooked smoked sausage, thinly sliced
Directions:

Combine the soup, tomatoes and water in a pot. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add sausage. Cover and simmer 40 more minutes. YUM! Also good with corn bread!

Six Layer Casserole

Ingredients:
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
  • 2 cups diced celery
  • 1 lb beef
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
Directions:

Ground the beef and drain. Lay sliced potatoes on bottom of a greased 7X11 (or 2-quart) pan. Add in layers celery, beef, and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a layer of peppers. Pour tomatoes with all their juices on top. Bake uncovered at 350* for 2 hours or until veggies are cooked. Serve with sour cream. 

This is one of my favorites, however, I'm pretty much the only one in our family that eats it, but since this is my blog and I love it... I added it!! Maybe someone else out there will love it as much as I do :)

White Chicken Chili (always a hit!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth 
  • 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions:

In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion, and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.  Add the beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and cream...consume!! I'll usually serve this with garlic bread and salad. 

Now for dessert!! 

Apple Crisp (another one of my mom's recipes)

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups apples (basically 4 apples), sliced thinly and peeled
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (softened)
Directions:

Stir sugar and cinnamon into apple slices and put in a 9X9 pan. Mix flour, sugar and butter together (I use my hands) until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples. Sprinkle some extra cinnamon and sugar on top if you want and pop it in the oven at 375* for 25-30 minutes. 

This baby is gone in minutes at our house, and now with Blake getting older I'm thinking I'm going to need to start doubling this!

So now my mouth is watering and I can't wait to go grocery shopping and make all these yummy fall treats! Hurray Fall! 

What is y'alls favorite fall recipe?? I'd LOVE to know!! I just found a recipe for pumpkin waffles, I think I may need to try making that tomorrow morning! But really, please share, I'd love to add to this list! :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment